I am a Marie Curie Fellow based jointly at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Cambridge. My research generally focuses on the optical and electronic properties of emerging photovoltaic and optoelectronic systems, particularly metal halide perovskites and carbon nanotubes. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you are interested in my work or collaborating!
March 2016: An article on perovskites in Fast Company based on my TED talk
December 2015: I’m humbled to be selected as a 2016 TED Fellow. This was also highlighted on the EECS MIT news feed: https://www.eecs.mit.edu/news-events/media/stranks-named-2016-ted-fellow.
December 2015: Our poster entitled ‘Photo-induced halide redistribution in hybrid perovskite films’ won Best Poster Prize at the MRS Fall Meeting in Boston, USA, December 2015.
September 2015: You can find upcoming seminars in the Perovskite Seminar Series that I am running within the Center for Excitonics at MIT here: http://www.rle.mit.edu/excitonics/event-type/perovskite-seminar-series/
July 2015: Check out our recent article on perovskite solar cells in Scientific American: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/perovskite-solar-cells-could-beat-the-efficiency-of-silicon/
Key recent publications:
- deQuilettes, D. W.; Zhang, W.; Burlakov, V. M.; Graham, D. J.; Leijtens, T.; Bulovic, V.; Ginger, D. S.; Snaith, H. J., Stranks, S. D. Photo-Induced Halide Redistribution in Organic-Inorganic Perovskite Films, Nat. Commun., 2016, 7, 11683
- Stranks, S. D.; Snaith, H. J. Metal-Halide Perovskites for Photovoltaic and Light Emitting Devices, Nat. Nanotechnol., 2015, 10, 391-402
- deQuilettes, D. W.; Vorpahl, S. M.; Stranks, S. D.; Nagaoka, H.; Eperon, G. E.; Ziffer, M. E.; Snaith, H. J.; Ginger, D. S., Impact of Microstructure on Local Carrier Lifetime in Perovskite Solar Cells. Science, 2015, 348, 683-686
- Sivaram, V.; Stranks, S. D.; Snaith, H. J. Outshining silicon, Scientific American, 2015, 313, 54-49
- Miyata, A.; Mitioglu, A.; Plochocka, P.; Portugal, O.; Wang, J. T. W.; Stranks, S. D.; Snaith, H. J.; Nicholas, R. J., Direct Measurement of the Exciton Binding Energy and Effective Masses for Charge carriers in Organic-Inorganic Tri-halide Perovskites. Nat. Physics, 2015, 11, 582-587
- Stranks, S. D.; Wood, S. M.; Wojciechowski, K.; Deschler, F.; Saliba, M.; Khandelwal, H.; Patel, J. B.; Elston, J. S.; Herz, L. M.; Johnston, M. B.; Schenning, A. P. H. J.; Debije, M. G.; Riede, M. K.; Morris, S. M.; Snaith, H. J. Enhanced Amplified Spontaneous Emission in Perovskites using a Liquid Crystal Reflector, Nano Lett., 2015, 15, 4935-4941
Special thanks to Dr Matthew T Klug for generating the cover image for this site.