I am a Marie Curie Fellow based jointly at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Cambridge. My research generally focuses on the optical and electronic properties of emerging photovoltaic and optoelectronic systems, particularly metal halide perovskites and carbon nanotubes. I will be establishing my group in the Cavendish Laboratory at the University of Cambridge as a Royal Society University Research Fellow in October 2016.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you are interested in my work or collaborating!
October 2016: Our work on ‘The Impact of Phase Retention on the Structural and Optoelectronic Properties of Metal Halide Perovskites‘ was published in Advanced Materials.
October 2016: Our work on ‘Direct-Indirect Bandgap Character of the Band Gap in Methylammonium Lead Iodide Perovskite‘ was published in Nature Materials
September 2016: Our correspondence on ‘Revisiting photocarrier lifetimes in photovoltaics‘ was published in Nature Photonics
August 2016: I was honored to be awarded an IUPAP Young Scientist Prize in Semiconductors for “pioneering discoveries in the field of perovskite solar cells and optoelectronics through spectroscopy”, which was presented at the recent ICPS conference in Beijng. The prize excerpt can be found here.
July 2016: I will be establishing my group in the Cavendish Laboratory at the University of Cambridge as a Royal Society University Research Fellow in October 2016
May 2016: Our work on ‘Photo-induced halide redistribution in organic–inorganic perovskite films‘ was featured on the front page of the MIT website and highlighted by Nature
March 2016: An article on perovskites in Fast Company based on my TED talk
December 2015: I’m humbled to be selected as a 2016 TED Fellow. This was also highlighted on the EECS MIT news feed: https://www.eecs.mit.edu/news-events/media/stranks-named-2016-ted-fellow.
December 2015: Our poster entitled ‘Photo-induced halide redistribution in hybrid perovskite films’ won Best Poster Prize at the MRS Fall Meeting in Boston, USA, December 2015.
September 2015: You can find upcoming seminars in the Perovskite Seminar Series that I am running within the Center for Excitonics at MIT here: http://www.rle.mit.edu/excitonics/event-type/perovskite-seminar-series/
July 2015: Check out our recent article on perovskite solar cells in Scientific American: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/perovskite-solar-cells-could-beat-the-efficiency-of-silicon/
Key recent publications:
- Hutter, E. M.; Osherov, A.; Gelvez-Rueda, M. C.; Bulovic, V.; Grozema, F. C.; *Stranks, S. D.; *Savenije, T. Direct-Indirect Bandgap Character of the Band Gap in Methylammonium Lead Iodide Perovskite, Nat. Mater., 2016, DOI: 10.1038/nmat4765
- Stranks, S. D. Petrozza, A. Revisiting photocarrier lifetimes in photovoltaics, Nat. Photon., 2016,10, 562
- Osherov, A., Hutter, E. M., Galkowski, K., Brenes, R., Maude, D. K., Nicholas, R. J., Plochocka, P., Bulović, V., Savenije, T. J., *Stranks, S. D. The Impact of Phase Retention on the Structural and Optoelectronic Properties of Metal Halide Perovskites, Adv. Mater., 2016, DOI: 10.1002/adma.201604019
- *Barbero, D. R.; *Stranks, S. D. Functional Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes and Nanoengineered Networks for Organic- and Perovskite-Solar-Cell Applications, Adv. Mater., 2016, DOI: 10.1002/adma.201600659
- deQuilettes, D. W.; Zhang, W.; Burlakov, V. M.; Graham, D. J.; Leijtens, T.; Bulovic, V.; Ginger, D. S.; Snaith, H. J., Stranks, S. D. Photo-Induced Halide Redistribution in Organic-Inorganic Perovskite Films, Nat. Commun., 2016, 7, 11683
- Stranks, S. D.; Snaith, H. J. Metal-Halide Perovskites for Photovoltaic and Light Emitting Devices, Nat. Nanotechnol., 2015, 10, 391-402
- deQuilettes, D. W.; Vorpahl, S. M.; Stranks, S. D.; Nagaoka, H.; Eperon, G. E.; Ziffer, M. E.; Snaith, H. J.; Ginger, D. S., Impact of Microstructure on Local Carrier Lifetime in Perovskite Solar Cells. Science, 2015, 348, 683-686
- Sivaram, V.; Stranks, S. D.; Snaith, H. J. Outshining silicon, Scientific American, 2015, 313, 54-49
- Miyata, A.; Mitioglu, A.; Plochocka, P.; Portugal, O.; Wang, J. T. W.; Stranks, S. D.; Snaith, H. J.; Nicholas, R. J., Direct Measurement of the Exciton Binding Energy and Effective Masses for Charge carriers in Organic-Inorganic Tri-halide Perovskites. Nat. Physics, 2015, 11, 582-587
- Stranks, S. D.; Wood, S. M.; Wojciechowski, K.; Deschler, F.; Saliba, M.; Khandelwal, H.; Patel, J. B.; Elston, J. S.; Herz, L. M.; Johnston, M. B.; Schenning, A. P. H. J.; Debije, M. G.; Riede, M. K.; Morris, S. M.; Snaith, H. J. Enhanced Amplified Spontaneous Emission in Perovskites using a Liquid Crystal Reflector, Nano Lett., 2015, 15, 4935-4941
Special thanks to Dr Matthew T Klug for generating the cover image for this site.